In May 2014, the Antibiotic Resistance Coalition launched the ‘Declaration on Antibiotic Resistance’ to advocate for policy change and action to prevent the post-antibiotic era from becoming a bleak reality. The Declaration calls for international leadership to take actions such as:
- Prohibit the mis-promotion and advertising of antibiotics;
- Promote new, needs-driven and open research and development models based on the principle of delinkage;
- Phase out the use of antibiotics from routine disease prevention in livestock and end their use, altogether, for growth promotion;
- Build robust systems, in all countries, to monitor and report antibiotic use and resistance trends in humans and animals; and
- Improve public awareness to support an ecological understanding of the human-bacterial interaction and behavior change around antibiotic use.
Click here to sign the Antibiotic Resistance Declaration and support global action to avert the post-antibiotic era